The Regional Plan Association (RPA) in The Fourth Plan just released their vision for Newburgh in 2040. The city is envisioned to be a healthy and equitable city that is a gateway to the Hudson Valley. Here are some key points of their plan:
- Partnership with St. Luke’s and MSMC for a buy local initiative, workforce development, and reciprocal capital and economic investments
- Bus rapid transit will ease congestion on I-84 and connect the downtown to an expanded Stewart Airport and Metro North Station at Beacon
- Anti-displacement measures and legal counsel for low-income residents.
- Apartment buildings are created into affordable cooperatives or creation of community land trusts
- Through inclusive planning and agreements, Newburgh will be home to people from many races, ethnic groups, and income levels
- A network of open green spaces that include Snake Hill and Quassaick Creek
- Green infrastructure technologies to reduce dependence on the city’s sewer system and protect the region’s water quality
Read the entire report here.