neighborhoods map / best neighborhoods

Home Forums General Newburgh Discussion neighborhoods map / best neighborhoods

Topic: neighborhoods map / best neighborhoods

General Newburgh Discussion February 29, 2016 at 10:45 am

neighborhoods map / best neighborhoods

Hi Ive been reading for a while and thinking of purchasing in the area around Washington’s HQ (perhaps the heights).

Ive been trying to get a better sense of the neighborhoods to concentrate my search on. I live in NYC and will be up for a second trip this weekend, but mostly my search has been online.

My understanding is that HQ area (is this SoBro?) would be the best area for someone who values walk-ability. My question is, are there other neighborhoods to consider? It is hard to find a neighborhood map of the city. I know I don’t want to be near South street or near the hospital. MGL seems spotty especially on Liberty street near the college. The heights seems sort of block by block at this point?

Any help from people who know the area better would be appreciated. Thanks!

5 Replies Add Reply

Ivon, check out the maps on this page (East End, Ward, Zoning)… http://www.cityofnewburgh-ny.gov/where . They do lack listing all the street names and, to add to the ambiguity, the wards comprise several zones which may comprise several neighborhoods. Newburgh in general is “spotty” as it is common to have a ‘desirable'(subjective) street run adjacent to or intersect a ‘less than so’ street. Each street often has a different ‘feel’ one end to the other and in between. “Walkabilty” is a buzzword that seems to imply some sort of urban norman rockwell utopia. Having grown up in Brooklyn, my standards and expectations are a bit more realistic. Neo-urbanism tends to be too sterile for me, lacking ‘soul’. By and large, I think Robinson Ave.(9W) running north/south acts as divider in terms of walkabilty, the east side being more so. The south side is more ‘active’, for better and worse. I suggest you actually walk the “neighborhoods” that interest you. Trust your gut, if the vibe isn’t comfortable move on. MGL?

MGL– Montgomery Grand and Liberty. I’ve been labeling real estate on those streets as such after the Wikipedia page.

Redpill has a point- you should walk the neighborhoods that interest you. I’d say the whole of Newburgh is a block by block case. You are interested in walkability. What will you have to walk past to get to where you want to go? You’ll have to do trial and error walking the streets to see if you are comfortable.

The entire city of Newburgh is walkable. The question is, what do you want to walk to? For me personally, the most desirable spots to walk to are along Liberty Street near WHQ, Lower Broadway, and the waterfront (this is where you can catch the ferry to MetroNorth). If you were to move in the Heights you could surely walk to all of these locations, but again, you might have to walk past areas that you might not feel comfortable. Same goes for MGL. Another option is biking. Overall though, it sounds like you want to be near WHQ and the immediate streets that radiate out from it – Ann, Washington, Spring, East Parmenter, South William is coming along, and also the southern block of Grand. Hope it works out for you!

We lived near Grand and Broad (not Broadway) until 2005. I walked the dog all around there, walked to the library and the post office etc. I also biked to the train station in Beacon while I was commuting (pre ferry). Unless you are in a hurry to buy, you probably could get a better feel by renting for a year. If I wanted to do any shopping up and down Broadway at the time, I would take the car since I had school age children. I agree with Cher about the Washington’s Headquarters area. Downing Park could be OK as well. A big part of choosing involves your lifestyle expectations.

Hi and thanks for all of the help!

Redpill definitely some interesting maps on that page. the zoning map is helpful.

MGL I took from the site actually, yea Montgomery /Grand /Liberty

Not looking for anything Norman Rockwell-esque 🙂 I own a townhouse/live in South Bronx.

I just want to be able to go grab a coffee, a restaurant, etc without jumping in my car. Downing Park looks so beautiful I cant wait to see it.

Thanks again for the tips!

Hey,

You got what you wanted or I need you more?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or