Newburgh was settled in 1709 and became an incorporated city in 1865. Newburgh has the second largest historical district of New York State, second to New York City. Like many Hudson River Valley towns, things started to decline for Newburgh in the 1950′s and 1960′s. Poverty has probably been one of the best preservationists of Newburgh architecture. There is still A LOT left to do for anyone with a vision who loves a historic urban city!
- Calvert Vaux Preservation Alliance
- NYC Rowhouse Preservation Manual
- Preservation Association of Newburgh
- Preservation League of New York State
- Preserving Newburgh Hand Guide