Incentives to Move/Invest in the city of Newburgh

Home Forums General Newburgh Discussion Incentives to Move/Invest in the city of Newburgh

Topic: Incentives to Move/Invest in the city of Newburgh

General Newburgh Discussion July 25, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Incentives to Move/Invest in the city of Newburgh

I took the New Haven line to Mamorneck last week and noticed an advertisement on the train that offered attractive incentives for anyone who would consider moving to New Haven CT (http://renewhavenct.com/) Incentives are really amazing and include tax benefits in addition to free college education if your child graduates the New Haven public schools. Does Newburgh have a group of advocates who are promoting incentives to move and invest here? If yes, who are they and how can I get involved?

It would be a dream of mine to restore one of the old homes in the city and live there; however, the investment required is astronomical with the taxes. It doesn’t seem as if city politics are in favor of revitalization or gentrification. Does anyone have any insight into this? Too many historic gems are on the market, what is preventing the city from offering incentives to people who genuinely want invest and be a part of Newburgh?

4 Replies Add Reply

The link you provided is a great model to show what the city should definitely be doing. Currently there isn’t a campaign that exists similar to what New Haven is doing. The closest thing we have is the land bank that will be looking to expand it’s outreach to the community on available properties. With the new city manager this is a topic that could be considered…maybe attend the next Community Conversation?

Hi Eliza,

I went to Newburgh and fell recklessly in love. Now my husband and I are recruiting others to buy in Newburgh and form a sustainable urban hamlet. We figure there’s power in numbers! We want to restore these homes to meet deep-energy standards so we are planning to work with Architect, Chris Benedict who is renowned in this area and who is committed to building affordable homes.

You can email me at lizvegalebron@gmail.com. We should chat.

Best,

Elizabeth

Thanks everyone for this information, I am going to email Arianna to see when the next community conversation will be held and bring up the Stamford model.

As someone who has invested a lot of capital here, I’m completely perplexed about statements regarding incentives. Our real estate prices are the lowest anywhere within a 60 mile radius of NYC- and possibly much further. Beyond the opportunity to live in a great city that has far more advantages than disadvantages, I’m at a loss of why incentives would be necessary to make Newburgh any more attractive. Also incentives may make it more inviting to a few newcomers but will backwards penalize those of us who have already invested without the same incentives when real estate values were at the same level or higher than they are now. The holdups are from properties that have been in the foreclosure vortex-some for up to six years already(a nationwide problem not unique to Newburgh but possibly more concentrated than most), codes compliance games by an incompetent codes department, NYState assessment rules that reward derelict properties with lower taxes and penalize improved properties with exponentially higher taxes and a complete lack of marketing of our city by our government- including a lack of leadership/self esteem in support of tourism(an existing industry infrastructure) that would lift all boats with little investment.

Can I ask you, what other places you have considered and why Newburgh? Are other places besides New Haven offering incentives?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or