Safety

Topic: Safety

General Newburgh Discussion July 4, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Safety

Hi! I’m looking to buy a home in Newburgh and I’m moving from the southwest US. I read a lot of statistics that say that the crime rate in Newburgh is high, but on the other hand, I hear it’s such a nice place to live.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thank you!

4 Replies Add Reply

Best advice I can give, you need to visit Newburgh for yourself and spend time researching blocks and speaking to neighbors. Where you might feel safe can just on a block by block basis. There are 700 vacant buildings in the city that bring a host of issues among other things. However, overall I would say most people who are moving to Newburgh would tell you they feel safe. I have never heard otherwise. Get to know your neighbors, be friendly, and you’ll see that any preconceptions you had might begin to disappear.

I highly recommend attending any of the events on the calendar, it’s a great way to network and meet people quickly.

Hi jdash,

The crime rate is higher in the city than in the town of Newburgh, which of course can be said for many other regions of the country. It’s definitely a beautiful area though especially at this time of year. If you’re still looking, send me an email, I can help you through the process of finding a home in Newburgh if you’re interested. I’m a Realtor with Better Homes and Gardens and service the Newburgh area. There are a lot of great gems available but it all depends on your preferences of course. What price range were you looking for in particular? Don’t hesitate to email me anytime at ryan.calderara@randrealty.com.

Like any city, it has good areas and bad. Best is to rent first, get a feel for the different areas, check out real estate, and then make a decision. There are also homes for sale that may offer an option of rent to own–which could allow you to test the waters.

We will soon be newcomers to Newburgh and at first my husband didn’t get why I was so in love with Newburgh in light of its many challenges but over time he came to see it’s beauty and potential. We have also made many friends who share our values and interests so that is really important to us.

I convinced my sister to buy a house on Lander Street (she closed in March) and now we are working on restoring so this is turning out to be a family affair.

My husband and I also just closed on an abandoned property that we bought from the city which is a total mess but it has great bones and we plan to restore it to meet high energy standards. I think Newburgh is a place to come and start new things and take chances.

You have to come and get a feel for the place (we took long walks and talked with shop keepers) because it has to speak to you–it’s an acquired taste!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or