NYC Commuters

Home Forums General Newburgh Discussion NYC Commuters

Topic: NYC Commuters

General Newburgh Discussion January 9, 2018 at 9:17 pm

NYC Commuters

Hi all,

I’m interested in relocating from New Jersey to Newburgh in 2018. I’m a freelancer with most of my ongoing gigs being in New York City. I’m looking to hear from people about the commute and if there are any tips/local tidbits I should be aware of ahead of time.

I know the Beacon train is probably the most popular option, but anyone out there utilize Shortline on a consistent basis? How packed is it at the 6a/7a/8a hour?

Does anyone drive to a park and ride to get to the city? Are there any that are particularly better than others?

Lastly, and only mildly related, are there any bikers out there who commute to public transit hubs via bicycle? How realistic is this in Newburgh and from what neighborhoods? It’s not a deal breaker, but the option would be nice.

Thanks for the insight!

– Caro

5 Replies Add Reply

Hey Caro,

Glad to hear you are thinking about Newburgh. My husband and I relocated to Newburgh after two years of Googling and visiting on weekends. We’re renting a place on Liberty Street while we go through the process of purchasing a home. I work in Hoboken, and my husband works in Midtown.

Newburgh is a long commute, no matter which way you structure it, although many do it on a daily basis. We spend 50% of our time in Newburgh, and when we are working late we stay in the city.

The Beacon train, along with the ferry, is a solid, albeit expensive option. There are express trains from Beacon to 125th street, and then down to Grand Central. Door to door, from our place on Liberty to Jon’s office on 34th street is around two hours. I drive 15 minutes to Salsbury Mills and take NJ Transit down to Hoboken. That takes an hour and twenty minutes. If you are going into Lower Manhattan, it’s a reasonable alternative via the PATH.

We’ve had mixed experience with the Shortline bus service. You catch it at a gas station on Broadway and it makes a few stops on the west side of the river before going through New Jersey and across the Lincoln Tunnel. It gets packed, but we’ve never had a problem getting a seat since Newburgh are among the first stops. Some days the bus is on time, but if the Lincoln Tunnel is backed up (and it often is) – we’ve rolled into Port Authority 30-50 minutes late more often than not.

We don’t bike, but I know a few folks who do, and it’s doable from most parts of the city.

Happy to chat if you have additional questions. The commute is long, but we don’t have a single regret about moving to Newburgh. In fact, I wish we had done it sooner. If you are a freelancer and your schedule allows for some flexibility, it’s a perfect city, IMO. The community, the housing, the revival that’s underway. People say hi and smile on the streets. Newburgh is going through a transformation, and it’s exciting to be a part of it. Soon after you arrive, you’ll be looking for outlets to give back and be a part of the future of the city. The energy and movement are infectious.

Cheers,
Noah

Hey Noah,

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate hearing from others that also do this commute, as it is the only part about moving that I’m truly nervous about. It’s nice to know I’m not alone!

I’m also glad to hear that you feel so strongly about the community in Newburgh, since it is that feeling that has left a lasting impression on me.

I’m looking forward to finding a place in the city soon and will be sure to reach out if I have any other questions.

Thanks again,
– Caro

It’s a manageable commute, especially if you don’t have to do it every day during rush hour–which I did for several years. The biggest challenges occur when you get into or near Manhattan, and have to go from GCT onto a subway, or from NJ into Penn or the Port Auth. (I now commute 1-2x a week, and since my office is 3 blocks from GCT, it’s a snap.) Tips: If you go to a gym, or have errands to run, do those during lunch hour–once you’re finally back home, you won’t want to leave the house. And consider the ferry across the Hudson to the Beacon station in mild weather. Good luck!

Hey Noah,

We’ve lived in Newburgh for over two years now. The commute is doable but if you are doing it every day it is not easy. I don’t have experience with the bus, but my wife takes the train to midtown every day and it gets hard after a while. About 1:50 door to door from our house.

I freelance but work from home usually so I don’t mind the long commute once or twice a week to visit with clients.

Newburgh is incredible and we are very glad we moved here, but commuting five days a week to the city while doable, is not easy. Luckily it’s a beautiful train ride and you always get a seat.

Biking is a mixed bag.You can definitely ride to the Beacon train station. I usually do it a few times a year. Riding over the bridge is great. I do that for exercise all the time.

The only downside is that the pavement in Newburgh is awful, so some roads are unbikeable (and other roads are fine).

Drivers are reasonably courteous but there aren’t a lot of bicyclists up here so they’re not always used to you.

Hey Gabe,

Thanks for the insight. I enjoy having the option to bike places if I can, so it is encouraging to hear that others in the area do this. I have noticed the poor condition of some of the streets…I imagine it’s a bit of a learning process getting used to the terrain. Hopefully, if people start biking more, the culture will continue to develop and the city will address the pavement issues.

Thanks again,
-caro

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or