Reply To: NYC Commuters

Home Forums General Newburgh Discussion NYC Commuters Reply To: NYC Commuters

Hey Caro,

Glad to hear you are thinking about Newburgh. My husband and I relocated to Newburgh after two years of Googling and visiting on weekends. We’re renting a place on Liberty Street while we go through the process of purchasing a home. I work in Hoboken, and my husband works in Midtown.

Newburgh is a long commute, no matter which way you structure it, although many do it on a daily basis. We spend 50% of our time in Newburgh, and when we are working late we stay in the city.

The Beacon train, along with the ferry, is a solid, albeit expensive option. There are express trains from Beacon to 125th street, and then down to Grand Central. Door to door, from our place on Liberty to Jon’s office on 34th street is around two hours. I drive 15 minutes to Salsbury Mills and take NJ Transit down to Hoboken. That takes an hour and twenty minutes. If you are going into Lower Manhattan, it’s a reasonable alternative via the PATH.

We’ve had mixed experience with the Shortline bus service. You catch it at a gas station on Broadway and it makes a few stops on the west side of the river before going through New Jersey and across the Lincoln Tunnel. It gets packed, but we’ve never had a problem getting a seat since Newburgh are among the first stops. Some days the bus is on time, but if the Lincoln Tunnel is backed up (and it often is) – we’ve rolled into Port Authority 30-50 minutes late more often than not.

We don’t bike, but I know a few folks who do, and it’s doable from most parts of the city.

Happy to chat if you have additional questions. The commute is long, but we don’t have a single regret about moving to Newburgh. In fact, I wish we had done it sooner. If you are a freelancer and your schedule allows for some flexibility, it’s a perfect city, IMO. The community, the housing, the revival that’s underway. People say hi and smile on the streets. Newburgh is going through a transformation, and it’s exciting to be a part of it. Soon after you arrive, you’ll be looking for outlets to give back and be a part of the future of the city. The energy and movement are infectious.

Cheers,
Noah