Abraham’s Table, a non-profit group started out because community members were worried that Newburgh district children would go hungry during the summer when free and reduced lunches are no longer available because of school recess. Last year in 6 weeks’ time, they served more than 12,000 lunches. This summer they anticipate serving as many as 1,000 lunches EACH DAY (Gulp!). Abraham’s Table is funded by the USDA (just like the free and reduced lunch program during the school year), funneled through the NY State Education Department. They serve ALL children, from age 2-18, a nutritious bag lunch prepared by the NECSD kitchen staff at Meadow Hill and served at multiple sites throughout the city.
Volunteers are needed! Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to contribute.
Lunches will consist of a sandwich wrap, fresh fruit, juice and milk and will be served at the sites listed below, Monday through Friday, 11:00-1:00, beginning July 2 through August 17. (Closed July 4) Children MUST eat their lunch at the site; no food may be taken away, according to NY State requirements. Neither documentation nor ID will be required.
- Best Resources, 49 Grand Street
- Calvary Presbyterian Church (Grand & South Streets)
- Center for Hope, 280 Broadway
- City of Newburgh Youth Bureau (Heights) @ 104 S. Lander Street
- City of Newburgh Recreation Park Pool @ Robinson Ave
- Glenn Hines Boys & Girls Club, 285 Liberty St.
- Grace United Methodist Church, 265 Van Ness Street
- Lake Street Apartments @ the High Rise All-Purpose Room, 207 Lake Dr.
- Mullins Apartments, 40 Walsh Rd.
- Newburgh Unity Center at the Armory, 321 South William Street
- St. Francis Church, 145 Benkard Avenue
- San Miguel Academy, 241 Liberty St.
Meals will be provided to all children 18 years and under without charge. Acceptance and participation requirements for the program and all activities are the same for all regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability, and there will be no discrimination in the course of the meal service.