What do a canteen, 6 pound bar shot, and haversack have in common? First, they are 18th century artifacts from the Revolutionary War. Second, they are part of Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site’s permanent collection. The best part – , they can all be seen at the New York State Capitol in Albany during a July 4th Independence Day special exhibit, “New York During The Revolution”. The exhibition brings together Revolutionary War era artifacts from a variety of state historical associations, sites, and museums to help commemorate our state’s essential role in our nation’s founding.
AND – they will also be part of the new exhibit, “Unpacked and Rediscovered: Selections from Washington’s Headquarters’ Collection”. This exhibit will be unveiled on December 1, 2012 at Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site’s recently renovated Museum. “Unpacked and Rediscovered” features rare, curious, and important collections not seen by the public for many years. Displayed in two galleries of open storage, the trustees of Washington’s Headquarters amassed this selection of amazing objects over 160 years. They represent the very roots of the preservation movement in American history.
On the Fourth of July, 1850 the State of New York dedicated General George Washington’s Headquarters in Newburgh, making it the very first publicly owned historic site in the nation. It was here that General Washington spent the final critical months of the War for Independence and molded the new republic. The headquarters immediately became a popular attraction and a shrine to the patriotic ideals associated with George Washington and the American Revolution.
Although the exhibit at Washington’s Headquarters-Newburgh doesn’t open until December, Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site is now open for tours of the Jonathan Hasbrouck House, the farmhouse that served as General Washington’s Newburgh headquarters. Experience the ambiance of a house rich in historic significance for this community and country.
Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site is a registered national historic landmark. It is located at the corner of Liberty and Washington Streets within the city of Newburgh’s East End Historic District. The site is one of 35 historic sites within the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and is one of 29 facilities administered by the Palisades Interstate Park Commission in New York and New Jersey. For further information contact: (845) 562-1195. The GPS address is 84 Liberty Street.