The city just amended its Vacant Building Registry and is now enforcing stricter codes. I am not familiar with the prior registry, so here’s a basic overview of what they are requesting:
- vacant property owners must submit a vacant building registry application for each vacant property they own and they must provide the contact information for the party in charge of the building
- owners must describe the premises and how they have secured the structure from public access
- owners must maintain at least $300,000 in liability insurance for 1 & 2 unit buildings and $1,000,000 for other buildings
- registration must be renewed annually. This fee can be waived if the owner decided to restore the property, of which, they must submit plans
- any owner who fails to comply faces civil penalties between $500 and $1,000 per day the violation continues
Do you think owners will begin to comply when they consider the hefty fines they might face?