5 years ago today I started Newburgh Restoration. It started off as something just for fun, and I had no idea where this would go, but it has been a great 5 years! We have seen really big changes and a lot of smaller ones. As customary, I will give you the run down of all the great things that have been happening in Newburgh during the past year. And if I miss any please add them to the comment section.
- Newburgher, Johanna Porr made an appearance in Preservation Magazine bringing national attention to the city
- Newburgh got a positive article in the New York Times!
- Work began to raise funds to restore the Tower of Victory at WHQ
- Creative minds began meeting up at the Newburgh Portfolio
- Phase 4 of the East Parmenter Neighborhood begins. Just 1 phase left to go!
- Newburgh got a CSA and NewburghFoodCo bringing farm fresh food to the city
- Rehab work has begun on the Liberty Street School again, with new windows and a new roof. Hopefully saving the structure from decay
- Large efforts have begun in the city to attract the film industry, and the city opens a film office
- The Newburgh Armory starts a community garden
- Plans move forward towards the development of Tyrone Crabb Park
- The Pop Up Gallery appears in Newburgh once again
- Newburgh is now on Google Maps, making it easier for outsiders to discover the city
- The first year of the Illuminated Festival comes to Newburgh with a brilliant light bulb art project
- Caffe Macchiato finds a new owner and does not close
- The Newburgh Open Studios tour opens for a 3rd year bringing over 800 people into the City of Newburgh to check out the growing art scene
- A River of Opportunities Campaign begins in Newburgh, in an effort to attract light manufacturing to the city
- 3 new police officers are added to the Newburgh force
- The Land Bank announces plans to renovate 2 buildings on Chambers Street and to make their offices there. They also successfully sell 2 properties.
- Resnick’s Mattress Factory sells. The new owner has plans to bring retail and creative ventures to the building.
- Newburgh Restoration gets a makeover. We now have a forum for you to ask questions and an events calendar that is open to the public to submit events.
- A new art gallery is coming in 2014 in the Atlas Building
- A new juice bar called the Juice Headquarters opens on Liberty Street
- The city begins to accept proposals to develop the waterfront
- Newburgh is voted one of This Old Houses Best Neighborhoods of 2013
- The NY Loves Film Office visits Newburgh
- The Teran Valdez Art Studio opens up in an amazing space on Broadway
- Almost 5,000 likes on our Facebook fanpage!
- An 11,000 sq ft Vintage Emporium will be coming to Newburgh
- Famed Photojournalist David Burnett opens a gallery on Front Street
- Chambers Street gets a new streetscape
- Soon 3 brownfield sites in the city will be cleaned up and open for development
- New grants focus on revitalizing streets north of Broadway
There are a few more really exciting things in the works that I can’t publish till they are set in stone, including a side project of my own. 2014 is going to be a great year for Newburgh. Stay tuned! Thank you to all of you with your tips and photos who help make this blog possible!
Amazing to see what has been accomplished and including things that have not even made it to this list!
Thanks, Cher, for creating a gathering place in cyberspace that Newburghers and curious others can rally around!
It has truly changed the trajectory of Newburgh for the better!
Thanks Hannah 🙂
Congratulations, Cher, on the five year milestone. Wherever I go in Newburgh, whomever I speak to, the verdict is unanamous: this blog and your work on it has a tremendous positive impact on Newburgh. Long before the recent spate of positivity about Newburgh in the press, you’ve been on the front line, showcasing derelict and more viable properties. Your interest in my own purchase of a quasi-wreck and your publishing my adventures working on it has keep me stoked to proceed full throttle and think “What can I do next that might interest Cher?” As I’ve told you before, job well done! Thank you for your hard work and dedication.
Aww thank you Bob, and thanks so much for participating! You inspire many others to love and take care of their own future dream home!
Cher your blog is so perfect for allowing so many people to come together to read about all the great things happening in the city. This is an amazing list of remarkable progress for the City of Newburgh NY!! I am hopeful that this is only the beginning of more great things to come and to be sure you will be blogging about most of them!!
Thank you Janis! I hope I will be blogging about them too!
Congrats on 5 years of great work and sharing all the positive developments going on in Newburgh!
Thank you Joe!
Congrats on 5 years! Just wanted to say how much I love reading this blog from San Francisco! I am so inspired by the great things happening in Newburgh and by the beautiful Victorian architecture. Excited to see the revitalization of this great town and hope to visit someday.
Wow I’m flattered SF Reader! Thank you so much!
Congrats on 5 years! I tip my hat to your positive contribution to the Newburgh area, such great dedication. Cheers to many more!